Friday, June 26, 2009

BUNCO & The Challenge

This Wednesday was BUNCO where 12 ladies get together for good food, snacks, and a fun game of Bunco. I was worried about the many temptations I would face, but went with a goal in mind to enjoy the company more than the food. It went pretty well overall. I did enjoy a smaller portion of the meal, felt satisfied and kept sipping water instead of soda. Of course every table has at least 2 dishes of snacks and candy but I only ate about 20 skittles over the evening and 5 peanut M&M's. I then passed on dessert -- key lime pie. That was a tough decision, but I left with NO guilt!

I appreciate the many tips we've received from Jessica and Peggy because I occasionally thought of what we've learned from them as I was tempted to enjoy many other goodies that night. Not to spoil the fun but to keep perspective, I frequently say what Peggy told us two weeks ago...

"The only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn." This was powerful for me and helps me keep a proper perspective about food.

With two upcoming holidays in July and other planned family events, there will always be an abundance of food choices. My plan to get through BUNCO worked so I'll use the same strategy throughout July. I hope these thought may help others in the challenge as well because it takes a mindshift before you're in an environment of temptation. Any other tips? I'd love to hear what others do as they participate in social events where food is ALWAYS a main focus.

No comments: