Thursday, June 18, 2009

Whole Wheat Flax'N Apple Muffins

I made these last week and they were very good. I don't have an exact nutritional overview, but calorie and fat content is lower than other muffins because of the Splenda and applesauce substitutes. Besides, they taste so good, you wouldn't know they're healthy for you.

1/4 c milled flax seed
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c white flour
1/2 c sugar -- can use Splenda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cup finely chopped or shredded apples -- I prefer shredded
3 T applesauce -- substituted for equal amounts of oil
1/2 c milk
1/2 c chopped nuts

Blend dry ingredients in bowl. In separate bowl, mix egg, applesauce & milk. Add to dry ingredients and mix. Batter will be thick. Fold in apples and nuts. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes. Recipe makes 12 muffins. I doubled it and my family gobbled them up within 2 days!

No comments: