Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New recipes to try

I'm a recipe collector and always looking out for fun new things to try. My collection is huge and sometimes I find myself just browsing recipe books for fun. (It's weird I know, but you wouldn't believe how many benefit from this hobby of mine). Well, you can imagine now that my new collection is focused on good taste, but good nutrition too.

This recipe is from Oprah's personal chef and we're having it tomorrow. It just sounds yummy to me and there's nothing here to have any guilt over!

Spaghetti al Forno
Sauce:
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste

Casserole:
1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti or linguine
2 T chopped parsley
1 large pinch red pepper flakes
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 T whole wheat breadcrumbs

To make sauce: in large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until vegetables carmelize (about 12 min). Turn heat to low and cook 10-15 more minutes. Raise heat to medium, add tomatoes. Simmer and cover. Cook 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt & pepper.

To prepare casserole: Preheat oven to 450. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook spaghetti but subtract several minutes from cook time so noodles are very al dente. Drain well and add to sauce. Add parlsey, red pepper flakes and toss to combine.

Transfer mixture to a 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake until top is browning and sauce is bubbling (about 15 min). Serve immediately.


My summer salad collection is growing too. I love salads -- much more than almost any main dish so here's what I'm serving this holiday weekend:

Cowboy Caviar

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can corn kernels (drained)
2 medium tomatoes (diced)
3 green onions (minced)
1 large avocado (diced)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup prepared salsa
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients and chill 30 minutes before serving. Can serve over greens as a salad or with chips for dipping.
Nutritional Info: 66 Cal, 3 g fat, 9 g carbs, 3 g fiber




Light Yogurt-Poppy Slaw



3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1 medium Granny Smith apple (peeled, cored & shredded)
1/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup crushed pineapple (including juice)
1 T honey
3/4 tsp curry powder
1 T poppy seeds
salt & pepper

1. Mix cabbages, apple, and carrots in large bowl.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, pineapple, honey, curry powder and poppy seeds. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Pour dressing over slaw and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 2-6 hours before serving.
Nutritional Info: 83 Cal, 2 g fat, 16 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein

3 comments:

Becky said...

Can I just tell you how awesome you are! You are always so positive and a great friend to everyone. I can't wait to try out these recipes. I think my family is not sure what to think of me...I am cooking a lot more and not doing the whole eating out thing much anymore.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

Natalie said...

Awesome! Can't wait to try some more new healthy recipes! I tried the Fettucine Alfredo last week, and it was a hit with my bunch.

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for giving us all these yummy recipes!
I use to love to cook but I don't do it much anymore but I will fix both salads.
Thanks